People in glass houses should listen to Glass Animals

Glass+Animals+released+their+new+album+%E2%80%9CHow+to+be+a+Human+Being%E2%80%9D+on+Aug.+16.+The+whimsical+music+fixates+listeners+into+a+trance+of+positive+vibes+with+deep+lyrics+that+have+a+hidden+meaning.+

Ashton Long

Glass Animals released their new album “How to be a Human Being” on Aug. 16. The whimsical music fixates listeners into a trance of positive vibes with deep lyrics that have a hidden meaning.

Ashton Long, Staff Writer

A smooth spell of whimsical rhythm and a raspy hushed male voice leads into lyrics similar to a lullaby. A steady hard beat guides the listener through the eccentric melody of “Mama’s Gun” in Glass Animals’ newest album, “How to be a Human Being.”

During an interview with Laurence Day of “The Line of Best Fit,” the band gives a rare “sound of unicorns whispering, but with no cowbell” to the Alt-J-alike music streaming fans. Their newest album, “How to be a Human Being,” provides a taste of retro vibes mixed with old school music beats.

The alternative boy band’s album brings electronic, indie and hip hop together to create an atmosphere that will make anyone on the street dance. Their alternative beat changes from creative electronic mixes to random lyrics with classic video game sound effects in the background.

The eager music-obsessed group grew up together through alternative 90’s music and high school drama. They began their career sharing electronic mix rhythms and borrowed sounds that inspired them to create their first songs “Psylla,” “Cocoa Hooves,” and “Intruxx” which began the first album, “Zaba.”  

The first album’s release received about 8 million views. The most played song on the radio, “Gooey,” became the biggest hit for the band and encouraged Glass Animals to sign with a producer from Wolf Tone, a production company started by Paul Epworth, who created success for artists like Adele and Florence to Friendly.

The first song, “Life Itself,” sets up the whole album with a smooth beat leading into the band’s whisper-like singing about a man who lives off his mother’s money. They present the song with pity because the subject, who is a young man, lived with his single mother who could not give him enough support throughout his young adulthood to grow up with a job.

Another song on the album is “Season 2 Episode 3.” This song combines jazz with underlying video game sound effects along with electronic mixes and R&B lyrics. This song is about how the artist broke up with his girlfriend and how he misses her but realizes how unhealthy the relationship was.

An additional song, “Mama’s Gun” further displays their whisper-like singing and mystical vibe. The song presents a person who is mentally ill and is coping with the fact that he is not emotionally stable.

“Poplar St.” is not like other songs on the album. This song is nowhere near Glass Animals’ regular sound but closer to today’s pop culture music. Although the sound of this song may be different to other songs on the album, its definition in lyrics are similar. The song begins with the artist at a young age looking up to a couple, hoping to have a love like theirs one day. Later, the artist describes how his love for his “mama” becomes more than a relationship but an addiction.

Glass Animals’ funky new album, “How to be a Human Being,” provides catchy tunes that can appeal to a large group of retro-crazy fans. The music draws listeners into their trance like beats that pull the listener away from the negative lyrics about sickness, debt, and other life problems we experience throughout our lifetime. This album is recommended to alternative and indie music fans who are thirsty for new electronic mixes and R&B lyrics.