Track team breaks five school records en route to sectionals

John Webb, Staff Writer

Starr’s Mill hosted the varsity AAAAA region meet last week with big implications on the line. The meet saw the Panther boys finish the season strong and provided some encouraging results heading into more qualifiers for state. Sophomores Harrison Fultz and Nick Nyman each broke school records in the 3200m (Nyman) and 800m (Fultz), as well as a win in the 1600m (Fultz). Junior Benjamin Runyan placed first in regions in the pole vault as well. The boys team ended the three-day meet in third place.

“Runyan has a real shot to place high in state,” coach Chad Walker said. “He got second to his brother last year and now that Michael [Benjamin’s brother] has graduated, Benjamin has a good shot.”

The girls region meet ended with the Panthers on top of the podium. A new school record in high jump and 1600m from freshman Megan Dobso as well as a new 4x100m school record helped propel the Lady Panthers to a victory. First place finishes in the 100m hurdles, 200m sprint, and 300m hurdles from sophomore Yonee Smith, senior Elan St. Julian, and senior Nailah Underwood as well as a win in the high jump by senior Maddy Hammond and pole vault by freshman Julia Colson helped send 13 girls to the sectional meet.

“We’re young on the girls side,” Walker said. “There is a lot to look forward to in the next few years.”

This weekend, the Panthers who qualified will be headed to Carrollton High School to compete in the region AAAAA sectional meet. In the final competition prior to the biggest meet of the year, some of Starr’s Mill’s and the state’s top competitors will go head to head in hopes of earning a place at the most important event of the year.

In order to qualify for the state meet, any runner or field event participant must place in the top eight of their event. Only the top two finishers of each of two heats as well as the four next fastest times will compete at the state championships.

The state meet will also be held at Carrollton High School on the weekend of May 12.