Lady Panthers prepare for comeback season

Two+Panther+players+work+on+their+post+moves+during+a+preseason+practice.+Starr%E2%80%99s+Mill+will+look+to+bounce+back+from+a+12-13+record+last+year+and+make+the+state+playoffs+this+season.+

Two Panther players work on their post moves during a preseason practice. Starr’s Mill will look to bounce back from a 12-13 record last year and make the state playoffs this season.

John Webb, Sports co-Editor

As fall comes to a close and the weather forces the end of outdoor competitions until spring, Starr’s Mill’s girls’ varsity basketball team hits the hardwood ready to use a disappointing end of last year as motivation for the new season ahead.

In the 2016-17 season, the Lady Panthers were the only Starr’s Mill team to not reach the state playoffs. With a 12-13 record, the team closed the season with two losses. The first of which was to region opponent Griffin, and the second came in the region tournament against Morrow.

“It was tough ending the season one shot away from the state playoffs, but we only lost a couple seniors and I think we will bounce back this year,” senior Emily Nieuwstraten said.

A major question for Starr’s Mill heading into the season is their production down low. After losing a dominant center last year in Kelly Kozusko, the Panthers will rely heavily on a young core to hold down the block and protect the basket.

One of the main components of the Panther game plan this year is sophomore guard Alice Anne Hudson. After having a breakout freshman year, the quick and talented Hudson will be expected to play more key minutes and step into a leadership position in just her second season with the team. Nieuwstraten, a four year varsity starter, is also returning for Starr’s Mill. She likely will play a large role not only in the team’s success, but also in helping develop fellow post player and freshman Allie Rumple.

This year, with a more experienced roster and a new coach, the team will look to boost their record to above .500 as well as improve the school’s Director’s Cup standings.

“One of my main expectations for this season is to make it at least to the first round of the playoffs,” head coach Emily Sweeney said. With last year’s head coach Shane Ratliff moving into the school’s Athletic Director position, Sweeney will take over the duties as head coach.

The Panthers will participate in the Hampton Kickoff Classic on Nov. 16, 18 and 20. They will also play in the Hilton Sandestin Basketball Blowout over the semester break.

Panther fans will get their first chance to see the team in action at home on Nov. 28 against Heard County at 6 p.m.  The team’s first region game will be a trip to McIntosh on Dec. 5.