• Competitive One Act wins AAAAA state championship

• Football wins region 3-AAAAA for 2nd straight year, hosts Bainbridge Nov. 10

• Junior Nick Nyman wins AAAAA boys' cross country state title, team finishes 2nd overall

• Science teacher Kelly Rock named 2018 Teacher of the Year

The student-run online newspaper for Starr's Mill High School

Science Olympiad

Jacob Hunt, Staff Writer

Purpose

• Allows students the chance to work with others and explore the scientific world
  • Demonstrates students knowledge of science in a competition setting

Details

• Competes first semester and the beginning of second semester in invitational competitions
  • Has a regional competition in spring and winning this would result in state or national competitions  
  • Conducts meetings mainly for organizational and informational purposes
  • Becoming a member is possible for anyone who attends the first few meetings of the year

Sponsors and officers

• Sponsors: Ann Whitley and Michelle Barron
  • Captains: seniors Maddie Laney and Aubrey Bennett
  • Vice-Captain: junior Dana Gould

Science to most students is just another core class required in Georgia Standards. However, it’s how some students spend their free time. Science Olympiad is a competitive organization that provides students with an opportunity to demonstrate their knowledge of science through a series of tasks and tests.

While some events are written exams, others include building events. These activities require students to work together as a team and apply their knowledge to build and create the required gadget.  “The students enjoy the events and do well in them every year,” club sponsor Ann Whitley said.

These events allow students to express their ideas with others and meet new people with similar ideals. “Competitors are all getting to meet different students that all share the same interests; they are all interested in science,” Whitley said.

Science Olympians participate in a variety of competitions. The majority of competitions occur in the first semester and are called invitationals. These small match-ups are practice for the competitions. Students prepare by studying independently or in small teams depending on the event.

The 2016-17 categories include rocks and minerals, optics, and forensics. Students choose events relatively tailored to their interests. “I used to think I wanted to be a CSI forensics expert, so I got really good at forensics in Science Olympiad since the fourth grade and now it’s second nature to me,” sophomore Zach Garcia said.    

The invitationals prepare the  competitors for the main tournament that takes place mid-second semester. This regional competition determines which teams will compete in the state competition. In the past few years, Starr’s Mill has been absent from the state competitions. “We get so close to going to state, usually by a few points,” Whitley said.  

From state teams go to nationals, an accomplishment the Mill has not previously earned. “I have not been there yet, but this is the year,” Whitley said.

Science Olympiad meetings involve preparation for the next event and are held during the weeks before a competition. Competitions always fall on Saturdays and are usually an all-day event. The students mainly prepare independently and try their best to win points for the team and medals for themselves.

Win or lose the students seem to always have an enjoyable time. “I love Science Olympiad,” Garcia said.

Rating: 3.7/5 (6 votes cast)
Science Olympiad, 3.7 out of 5 based on 6 ratings