Golden Apple – Patrick Cheney

August 2023
English teacher Patrick Cheney is August’s Golden Apple recipient. He was selected by May’s winner Josh Reeves for his friendly approach to teaching and helping him and his students.
Caroline Drez

English teacher Patrick Cheney is August’s Golden Apple recipient. He was selected by May’s recipient history teacher Josh Reeves. 

“Coach Cheney helped me so much last year when it came to basketball,” Reeves said. “When I asked my students who I should give the Golden Apple to, his name came up so many times.”

Cheney went to Georgia State and received his undergraduate degree in journalism. He then earned his master’s degree in teaching from Kennesaw State University.

“Too often, teachers forget what it was like to be a student,” Cheney said. “I give students responsibilities and freedoms as long as they let me, and I treat them like adults until they give me a reason not to.”

He first began teaching at North Atlanta High School in Buckhead, Georgia. After five years, he moved to Woodward Academy for a year. He currently teaches 9th and 10th grade literature.

Outside of the classroom, Cheney is the assistant coach for boys basketball and an assistant coach for boys lacrosse. He enjoys clay shooting in his free time.

Cheney will receive $100 from Farmers Insurance to spend on curriculum or instruction. He will also receive a free large pizza from Buck’s Pizza, a gift certificate to Lisa’s Creperie in Senoia, a goodie bag from Safelite Auto, and a free haircut from Mane Hair in Peachtree City.