Golden Apple – Derek Abrams

November 2023
Golden Apple - Derek Abrams

Math teacher Derek Abrams is the November recipient of the Golden Apple Award. He was selected by last month’s recipient Amy Hinote.

“I hear my students talk about him and they say great things about how he is very helpful and works hard to ensure they are learning material,” Hinote said. “I want him to know that he is appreciated even though his students may not tell him directly.”

Abrams’ teaching philosophy involves constant adaptation and change in the classroom to ensure that his students understand the materials they are learning. He applied this teaching approach more this year because a new curriculum was put into place. 

“My goal is always to do whatever it takes to get my students to succeed,” Abrams said. 

Abrams grew up in the Starr’s Mill area. He attended Braelinn Elementary School, Rising Starr Middle School, and graduated from Starr’s Mill in 2008. He made it a goal to return to teach at Starr’s Mill after college. After earning his bachelor’s degree at Georgia Southwestern State University, his master’s degree at Thomas University, and a specialist degree in secondary math education at West Georgia University, he returned to Starr’s Mill as a math teacher. 

“I was blessed enough to, right out of college, get a teaching job here,” Abrams said. “I absolutely love it.”

Abrams has been a math teacher for 11 years. He has mainly taught algebra I and algebra I support, but he taught geometry for two years. Outside of school, Abrams enjoys being outdoors. He enjoys running, biking, and swimming, and participates in races and triathlons. Abrams is also the school’s swim coach.

Abrams will receive $100 from Farmer’s Insurance to spend on curriculum or instruction. He is still deciding on what materials he will buy for his students. He also received a gift certificate to Lisa’s Creperie in Senoia, and a free haircut from Mane Hair in Peachtree City, among other additional awards.