The student-run online newspaper for Starr's Mill High School

Health Occupations Students of America

Hayeon Choi, Staff Writer

Purpose

• Gives students who are interested in the healthcare field an opportunity to experience the field

Details

• 154 members
  • Meets during all three lunches on the second Wednesday of each month in room 834

Sponsor

• Julie McKenna

Healthcare teacher Julie McKenna took charge of the Health Occupations Students of America after now-retired teacher Barbara Phillips started the club at Starr’s Mill.

The HOSA Future Health Care Professionals is an international student organization for students interested in the healthcare field. The members of HOSA learn several beneficial skills needed in healthcare, like networking. “[I like] all the opportunities it affords the HOSA members,” McKenna said.

There are other opportunities that come with being a part of HOSA include doing service projects in healthcare facilities around the community, going to regional, state, and international competitions, and attending workshops and learning leadership skills. Along with these opportunities, the members have many scholarships options.

HOSA receives its funds from sponsors, like Southern Crescent ENT, Avella Cosmetic and Family Dentistry, Brubaker Physical Therapy, and Mike and C’s. The club also hosts fundraisers to help support members going to competitions and fund missing club necessities.

This club is not only at Starr’s Mill as it is a nation-wide organization. HOSA is considered an academic club that is aligned with state standards of healthcare class. Despite the fact that HOSA is associated with certain standards, anyone is able to join without having to take any healthcare-related classes.

“What I like best about HOSA is that this organization gives students opportunities to compete using the healthcare skills they have learned in class,” McKenna said.

Rating: 5.0/5 (1 vote cast)
Health Occupations Students of America, 5.0 out of 5 based on 1 rating