• Competitive One Act wins AAAAA state championship

• Football wins region 3-AAAAA for 2nd straight year, hosts Bainbridge Nov. 10

• Junior Nick Nyman wins AAAAA boys' cross country state title, team finishes 2nd overall

• Science teacher Kelly Rock named 2018 Teacher of the Year

The student-run online newspaper for Starr's Mill High School

Beta Club

The Starr’s Mill Beta Club has two sponsors, four officers and approximately 400 active members. Its motto “Let Us Lead by Serving Others” reflects the organization’s focus on service and leadership in addition to academic excellence.

Yuri-Grace Ohashi

Yuri-Grace Ohashi

Yuri-Grace Ohashi, News co-Editor

Purpose

• Encourage high academic standards
  • Promote leadership through service
  • Build strong character among its members
  • Positively influence the community

Details

• Approximately 400 active members
  • One morning and afternoon meeting every month
  • Members must earn and maintain an overall G.P.A. of 90%
  • Two Beta Club service projects and a total of 10 service project hours per semester

Officers and Sponsors

• President: Yuri-Grace Ohashi
  • Vice President: Colin Kelly
  • Treasurer: Abby Adams
  • Secretary: Jo Dearman
  • Sponsors: Kristin Peavyhouse and Kelly Rock

The National Beta Club’s mission is “to promote the ideals of academic achievement, character, service and leadership.” The widely recognized organization has thousands of clubs both in the U.S. and internationally. Starr’s Mill’s chapter focuses its efforts around the organization’s motto of “Let Us Lead by Serving Others,” which it demonstrates through its academic and service-based requirements.

“The club’s motto incorporates two things: leadership and service,” Rock said. ”In that, I’d like to see students take that motto and be student leaders take leadership positions and help others in the process.”

In order to be inducted into the club, students who are rising sophomores, juniors or seniors with an average GPA of 90% must fill out an application, write an essay and complete a teacher recommendation letter. New members who complete this process are invited to the induction ceremony held in April. Currently, there are approximately 400 active members, and a total of 216 students are on track to join Beta Club for the 2017-18 school year.

This organization opens multiple service and leadership opportunities up for its members such as working concessions, tutoring and mentoring children, contributing to Teacher Appreciation Week, donating to canned food drives, and volunteering at community events. Beta Club’s main event of the year is Beta Convention, which was held in Savannah, GA from Jan. 18-20 this year. Members who attend the convention are exempt from their spring semester service hours.

“My favorite part of being a sponsor is being able to connect with kids outside of class, especially through convention,” Rock said.

The next Beta Club meeting will take place April 13 in the Willie Duke Auditorium. Active members for the 2017-18 school year, which includes all new inductees and excludes graduating seniors, are expected to attend the May meeting. Officer elections will be held at this meeting.

Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes cast)