GADOE recognizes exemplary students

Guidance Counselor Paula OShields examines the recognition list from the Georgia Department of Education.

Guidance Counselor Paula O’Shields examines the recognition list from the Georgia Department of Education.

Dan Vinson, Features Editor

Senior Cody Clements and classmate Alex Casado are two of 183 graduating seniors to be named Georgia Scholars by the Georgia Department of Education. Only three students in Fayette County received the award and two were from Starr’s Mill.

“It is a great honor to be rewarded for my hard work and endeavors,” Clements said. Throughout his high school career, Clements has maintained a grade point average of 4.0 and has excelled in eight Advanced Placement classes. Casado has taken six AP classes and is graduating with an unweighted 4.0 as well.

“Mrs. O’Shields told me about the recognition program,” Casado said. “I just printed out a required application online and mailed it in.”   Paula O’Shields is the guidance counselor for both Clements and Casado. “I advertised the program on our website and sent information out to all students through Infinite Campus,” O’Shields said. “Since the requirements to receive this recognition reward are so challenging, only a few students apply per year.”

Students who are recognized by the scholarship program must meet the necessary prerequisites. According to the GADOE, these requirements include “exemplary course loads during the four years of high school” and students “who performed excellently in all courses, successfully participated in interscholastic events at their schools and in their communities,  and assumed active roles in extracurricular activities sponsored by their schools.”

Clements and Casado will receive a congratulatory seal on their diplomas.