August PBIS winners show responsibility in and out of the classroom

English+teacher+Jillian+Bowen+is+the+PBIS+teacher+of+the+month+for+August.++She+was+recognized+for+her+responsibility+as+the+English+department+chair+and+helping+her+fellow+teachers.+

Addie Ellison

English teacher Jillian Bowen is the PBIS teacher of the month for August. She was recognized for her responsibility as the English department chair and helping her fellow teachers.

Addie Ellison, Staff Writer

PBIS has announced Student of the Month and Staff Member of the Month recipients for the month of August.

Amanda Morton recognized freshman David Baker because he showed responsibility by helping his ninth grade classmates to their classes and being a leader in the classroom.

“David is a great student, he’s really responsible, he’s always doing what he’s supposed to do,” Morton said. “He’s a great role model to the freshmen he is in class with; he will help them when they need help socially or academically.”

Other underclassmen receiving nominations included freshmen Kylie Domangue, Lyla Caplan, Autumn Wheeler, and Jared Moore, and sophomores Matthew Kirkland, Olivia Ferris, Mayiah Grant, Lucas Dee, and Mitchell Sellers.

Madeline Rodriguez recognized senior Veronica Kilgren because of her responsibility when it comes to making up her school work and quizzes when she was unable to make it school.

“She’s a role model, and I shared with the class what she did,” Rodriguez said. “For [students] to see that there is an example and what happens when you do extraordinary things is why I nominated her.”

Other upperclassmen receiving nominations included juniors Jillian Burke, Derrilyn Maxey, Ethan Gibbas, Stede Bexley, Charlie Goins, and Ava Hall.

Student of the Month winners receive a t-shirt and their name on the Wall of Stars in the 800 hallway. 

English teachers Brandon Kendall and Nancy Close recognized fellow English teacher Jillian Bowen. They nominated her for her leadership in the English department as their department chair.

“I had Covid, and Mrs. Bowen is our department chair for the English department,” Kendall said. “Orchestrating my subs, my sub plans, and all that other hoopla, that was all through her and she did a phenomenal job.”

Other faculty and staff who received nominations for the month of August include Spanish teacher Laura Alldredge, engineering teacher Rob Bell, psychology teacher Sean Hickey, secretary Heather Smith, assistant principal Brandi Meeks, math teacher Vicki Morgan, guidance counselor Connie Patterson, math teacher Kristen Peavyhouse, science teacher Jessica Tatum, and Spanish teacher Shayne Thompson.

Once a month Andrea Freeman, the assistant principal in charge of PBIS, sends out a link for staff members to nominate students and teachers on their good behavior. The PBIS committee, composed of Freeman, PBIS coach Adriah Williamson, and other faculty and staff, vote on the PBIS staff and students of the month. 

“[PBIS] a system and a framework that rewards students for positive behavior,” Freeman said. “Research tells us that when we work in an environment that rewards positive behavior, rather than focusing on the consequences from negative behavior, then students and staff will internalize those behaviors better and more effectively.”