7 student athletes sign college letters of intent

Seniors Chayla Park (from left), Jahmeil Curwen, Kayla Feigenbaum, Sam Roberson, Paige Betsill and Carly Pressgrove sign letters of intent to play soccer at various universities in the fall.

Spencer Dawson, Staff Writer

On National Signing Day, seven Panther athletes sat with their families and coaches to sign their college letters of intent in the Media Center. All of their hard work over the last four years paid off, culminating in this special moment.

“This is an honor both academically and athletically,” Assistant Principal Allen Leonard said. “We are very proud of all these students.”

The seven seniors who signed are Paige Betsill, Kalya Feigenbaum, Chayla Park, Carly Pressgrove, Jahmeil Curwen, Sam Roberson, and Terence Harper.

The first athlete to sign was varsity girls soccer goalkeeper Betsill. She will play at Columbus State University.“I am excited to meet my new college team and will work hard to do the best I can,” Betsill said. “I can’t wait to be a part of a new family and get to know new people who enjoy the same sport.”

Betsill has been a starter on the Lady Panther soccer team for four years. “Paige has been a stalwart for the Lady Panthers since her freshman year, starting every game since joining the program,” head varsity soccer coach John Bowen said. “She is a leader on the team and someone we rely on when things are not going our way. She has played unbelievably at times in goal and will be remembered as one of Starr’s Mill’s best.”

Betsill gave thanks to her parents for always pushing and supporting her and to her goalkeeper coach, Glen Fox, who she has trained with for the last five years.

Betsill’s teammate Feigenbaum signed with the University of North Georgia. “My brother played soccer for the University of Central Florida, and I would like to follow in his footsteps playing soccer in college,” Feigenbaum said. “My parents always supported me through thick and thin.”

Feigenbaum is one of the key pieces of Bowen’s offensive strategy this year. “Kayla was a transfer, which denied her freshman year varsity status, but she has been a leading scorer and a creative threat during her three years with the Panthers,” Bowen said. “Last year, she recovered from ACL surgery and became a threat off the bench. This year she will play a big role scoring goals and as a spark for the Lady Panthers.”

Park also signed her soccer letter of intent. Park, who will attend Brenau University in the fall,  has also played all four years. “Chayla has been a stalwart in the back each season. She uses her speed and technical ability to and leads by example in practice and during a match,” Bowen said.

The final girls soccer signee of the day was midfielder Pressgrove. She signed her letter of intent with Kennesaw State University. “I am most looking forward to meeting my new teammates and building the chemistry that you need as a team,” Pressgrove said.

Pressgrove’s biggest role models are her club soccer coach Angelo Yokaris and Olympic gold medalist and former Lady Panther midfielder Kelley O’Hara. “Coach Angelo always pushed me to be better, and Kelley O’Hara inspired me because she came from the same town and made the national team,” Pressgrove said.

Pressgrove will leave her mark on the soccer program through her work on and off the field. “As another three-year letterman, Pressgrove has embodied the Panther program’s passion and strength on the pitch. She is a marked woman on the field because her influence is well known,” Bowen said.

Betsill, Feigenbaum, Park and Pressgrove were part of the 2014 state runner-up soccer team. The four agreed on one moment from their season that was nothing short of special. “Our favorite memory thus far of our high school career is beating McIntosh and winning first in the region as well as playing with such wonderful girls,” Pressgrove said.

Curwen and Roberson also signed letters of intent to play soccer. Curwen, who played club soccer for Concorde Fire during high school,  signed with the University of Cincinnati.  Roberson, a four-year player, will play at North Greenville University in Tigerville, S.C.

Boys head coach Mike Hanie said Roberson has left an impact on the  soccer program. “Sam is a three-year varsity letterman and a very talented outside defender,”  Haine said. “He is good at defending one-on-one and contributes to our attack by getting forward. He is one of our team leaders and highly respected by his teammates.”

Harper was the only football signee of the day. He will be attending Campbell University in  Buies Creek, N.C.  At  6’8”, Harper played tight end and defensive lineman for four years.

Football head coach Chad Phillips has been on the field with Harper since his first high school practice. “It was rewarding watching Terence grow from a gangly, awkward 9th grader to an influential, impacting player as a senior. It was especially satisfying seeing him earn a scholarship to Campbell,” Phillips said.