Dancing With Pantherettes successful fundraiser

Craig Riley, Staff Writer

Amanda Reagan, senior co-captain of the Pantherettes dance team, was ecstatic when she and her dance partner, Zack Richards, won first place in the inaugural Dancing With the Pantherettes, a high school version of Dancing With the Stars. The two actually jumped with joy en route to accepting their trophy and prizes, which included some Ichiban and Crosstown Grille gift cards for $50.

For the event, the Pantherettes teamed up with members of the boys’ varsity basketball team for the dance competition. The girls had seven practices in addition to three dress rehearsals to teach the boys a choreographed dance routine, which they performed in the Willie Duke Auditorium in mid-January.

“I felt so accomplished that I was able to teach what I love to a rookie and to be able to walk away with a trophy,” Reagan said of Richards, who plays point and shooting guard.  “It was kind of like teaching a little kid except they’re older. It was fun because it was a casual environment and the guys goofed off a lot,” she said.

Lisa Bachkosky
Seniors Amanda Reagan and Zack Richards are the winners of the first ever “Dancing With the Pantherettes” fundraiser, which was held in the Duke Auditorium in late January.

The event was emceed by seniors Matthew Stogner and Frankie Hohenstein. Making guest appearances and performing that night were the top five finalists from the 2015 Miss Starr’s Mill pageant. They were sophomore Yuri-Grace Ohashi, the reigning Miss Starr’s Mill, junior Hollyn Shadinger, seniors Mariah Blanks and Kelly O’Shaughnessy  and junior Alexa Echevarria.

Pantherette Kenzie Johnson also spoke about the fun times the dancers and players had. “All the dancers and the rookies enjoyed the experience,” Johnson said.

Senior basketball player Mitch Pattison also spoke of his experience during the competition.

“I not only learned to dance, but I learned more about myself,” joked Pattison, who danced with Blanks. “In fact, I plan to quit all my sports and pursue dancing.”

Antonela Kljajic, or “Coach K” as many of the girls call her, explained how the idea of Dancing With the Pantherettes came about.

“The girls were brainstorming ways to raise money for their trip that also involved the student body,” Kljajic said. “I was excited when they first mentioned Dancing With the Pantherettes because they showed how much they really wanted to go to nationals,” she said.

Dancing With the Pantherettes helped raise money for the girls’ trip to Disney World to compete at nationals in early February. According to Kljajic, the fundraiser was such a success that they decided to make it an annual event. The event raised $1,300, she said.

At nationals, the girls were called back for the preliminary round but did not reach the finals. “They performed two dances, one in pom and one in jazz,” Kljajic said. “Although they did not place, it was a great experience that helped prepare us for state.” The girls competed at state, which was held at McIntosh, the weekend after nationals and placed second in state for pom and third for jazz.

“State was a blast,” Johnson said. “We performed very well and are pleased with what we have accomplished this season.”