Literary Team takes first-bow at state

Seniors+Jordan+Bobbitt+and+Chandler+Cummings-McBride+attended+state+at+Buford+High+School+on+March+11.+Bobbitt+placed+first+in+dramatic+interpretation.+

Submitted by Corlis Cummings

Seniors Jordan Bobbitt and Chandler Cummings-McBride attended state at Buford High School on March 11. Bobbitt placed first in dramatic interpretation.

Emma Posey, Staff Writer

On March 18, the Starr’s Mill Literary Team sent seniors Chandler Cummings-McBride and Jordan Bobbitt to state at Buford High School. Bobbitt finished second in dramatic interpretation.

In order to qualify for state, the competitors needed to place first in an event at regions, which was held at Fayette County High School. Team members can compete in a number of different categories including essay, extemporaneous speaking, singing, solo and duo comedic interpretation, or solo or duo dramatic interpretation. For dramatic interpretation, Bobbitt was required to choose a play, shorten it down to ten minutes, and play every character in the story.

“Each student prepared in their own way and I couldn’t be more proud of the outcome of this season,” team coach and drama teacher Andrew Snider said.

Cummings-McBride placed first at region in personal essay but did not place at state. Snider plans on having more competitors go to state next year.

“Although the season was short, I had a lot of fun preparing for it and I had fun watching my teammates practice. I think it was a good initial start,” Cummings-McBride said.

This year’s season has ended, but anyone interested in participating next year can see Snider in room 316 for more information.