Student Government Association hosts fundraiser for childhood cancer

The Starr’s Mill Student Government Association is hosting fundraiser during the Battle of the Bubble basketball games taking place at Starr’s Mill Jan. 19. All funds will be donated to Cure Childhood Cancer.

Amy Orr, Staff Writer

The Starr’s Mill Student Government Association will host a fundraiser on Jan. 19 to raise money for Cure Childhood Cancer.

The fundraiser will take place during the Battle of the Bubble varsity basketball games against McIntosh. The cross-town rivals will compete to raise the most amount of funds to donate to Cure Childhood Cancer. There will be two basketball hoops at the entrance of the game where people can dunk donations in support of the school they want to win the competition.

Another fundraising activity will be a car smash before the game. The words ‘childhood cancer’ will be spray painted on a car, and people can pay to take part in smashing the car in order to ‘beat up’ childhood cancer.

“I never really realized how fun it would be to plan something like this,” senior Elena Wernecke said.

Spearheading this fundraiser is senior SGA member, Wernecke, who has been working with the organization Cure Childhood Cancer since she was in seventh grade. This is an Atlanta-based organization that raises awareness and funds for childhood cancer research. They also help support families affected by childhood cancer. All proceeds from the fundraiser will be donated to Cure Childhood Cancer

“These kids are superheros because they’re fighting against a terrible thing,” Wernecke said.

The basketball game will encompass a superhero theme. Everyone is encouraged to dress up as a superhero while enjoying the game. The girls’ game is set to tip-off at 7 p.m., and the boys’ game will follow at 8:30 p.m.

The school that raises the most money will be announced at half time of the boys’ game.