Star students set to challenge for state title

Science+teacher+Dan+Gant+surrounded+by+prizes+given+to+him+after+Star+Student+Bryce+Smith+selected+him+as+Star+Teacher.+Gant+will+support+and+write+a+letter+of+recommendation+for+Smith.+Smith+and+Devin+Lohman+tied+for+Star+Student+at+the+local+and+regional+level.+Both+will+now+travel+to+the+state+competition+on+April+23.+

Ashton Long

Science teacher Dan Gant surrounded by prizes given to him after Star Student Bryce Smith selected him as Star Teacher. Gant will support and write a letter of recommendation for Smith. Smith and Devin Lohman tied for Star Student at the local and regional level. Both will now travel to the state competition on April 23.

Luke Bennett, Staff Writer

On April 23, two Starr’s Mill High School students will compete for the Star Student state title.

Seniors Devin Lohman and Bryce Smith recently tied for the highest SAT scores at Starr’s Mill. Both these students went to represent the Starr’s Mill at the regional competition where they tied with Devon Boatright from Douglas County High School. The trio now moves on to represent the region at the state competition.

The winners from each school also select their most influential teacher teacher for the Star Teacher. Senior Bryce Smith chose science teacher Dan Gant, while Lohman chose visual arts teacher Todd Little. Each teacher must now write a letter of recommendation to the state as part of the state competition.

“I’m very honored and humbled [Smith] chose me because he really could have chosen anyone,” science teacher Dan Gant said.

The first two rounds of the school and region competitions are won by the highest SAT score.  However, the state competition is won not solely by the score but by different components. Along with a letter written by their chosen teacher, the students go through an interview as well as other tests which all contribute to the competition. These students also attend a luncheon with all the other winners from around the state.

“[Representing Starr’s Mill at the state competition is] really important to me,” senior Devin Lohman said.

The two seniors representing Starr’s Mill and Fayette County will travel to Duluth on April 23 for the state competition.