Students find alternative to walking out

Flagpole+outside+Duke+Auditorium+where+student+organizations+hold+gatherings+in+the+morning.+This+Friday%2C+students+plan+to+meet+at+the+flagpole+to+express+their+views+on+gun+violence+in+schools+and+pay+respect+to+those+who+have+lost+their+lives+in+school+shootings.+

Caylee Cicero

Flagpole outside Duke Auditorium where student organizations hold gatherings in the morning. This Friday, students plan to meet at the flagpole to express their views on gun violence in schools and pay respect to those who have lost their lives in school shootings.

Caylee Cicero, Staff Writer

On the morning of April 20, the nineteen-year anniversary of the Columbine High School shooting, students of the Mill plan to meet outside the flagpole to commemorate those who have lost their lives in school shooting and protest gun violence in schools.

“This gives us the opportunity to show our community we will not stand down as a public display of our views,” Gould said.

Senior Dana Gould organized this alternative, so students can express their opinions before school instead of walking out later in the day. 

Meeting at the flagpole allows students to freely express their stances on the issues of school violence, gun violence, gun control and any relating issues without fear of potential disciplinary consequences for walking out of the school building in the middle of second period at 10 a.m.

In the past, student organizations have met at the flagpole for various reasons and Gould believes it’s a central location where they can easily spread awareness to students, parents and teachers, showing the community that school shootings need more attention than media coverage after they occur.

“Our goal is increased awareness for gun violence in our community and hopefully, people will open their eyes and see that this is not just a matter of school safety,” Gould said. “It is not an issue with the school necessarily, but the laws in place and the way that safety is being handled by officials.”

Students are allowed to make and carry school appropriate signs outside of the school informing passersby of the purpose of their presence. Those wanting to participate in Gould’s gathering can congregate at the flagpole in front of Duke Auditorium at 8:00 a.m. Friday morning.