HERO Club hosts fundraising competition to win free football tickets

Courtesy of UGA HERO

The fourth period with the most donations will win free tickets to the Senior Night football game. Making a donation will contribute to helping children affected or infected by HIV/AIDS.

Kathleen Stephens, Staff Writer

The Starr’s Mill Hero Club is hosting a fundraising competition that encourages students to participate by offering a prize. The fourth period class that raises the most money through donations will win free tickets to the senior night football game this Friday against Riverdale.

“All we do is raise money and then [University of Georgia Hero Club] figures out how they want to spend it,” Hero Club sponsor Nancy Close said. “So we are hoping we will be very successful and be able to send them a lot of money.”

The Hero club is an organization dedicated to helping children in Atlanta affected by HIV/AIDS.

“Students should most definitely participate because no matter how much they are donating, even if it’s only a penny, a little goes a long way when it comes to helping these kids,” junior and HERO Club treasurer Jade Foster said. “Although they may lack physical signs, having to face the stigma of HIV/AIDS every day is a big obstacle as well as living in fear that their peers, friends, or teachers might learn their status and view them differently. It’s our mission to contribute and help make a change.”

Students can contribute to the worthy cause by donating during their fourth period class.  HERO Club will keep a running tally of the funds raised by each class. The winner will be announced at the end of the week.