Starr’s Mill granted Science National Honor Society charter

This+fall%2C+Starr%E2%80%99s+Mill+acquired+a+charter+for+a+chapter+of+the+Science+National+Honor+Society.+SNHS+encourages+students+to+advance+their+knowledge+in+classical+and+modern+science.+

This fall, Starr’s Mill acquired a charter for a chapter of the Science National Honor Society. SNHS encourages students to advance their knowledge in classical and modern science.

Hillary Baidoo, Staff Writer

Science National Honor Society is a prominent scientific organization that develops a new group of young thinkers who will be the future of industry, research, and scientific exploration for America. Starr’s Mill students will now have the opportunity to join this organization.

“I am very excited because I have seen how this type of society exposes more students to the possibilities of science careers and allows them to pursue their interests in the science field,” sponsor Amy Hinote said.

SNHS promotes and encourages student interest in the sciences, and spreads awareness of the sciences in the community. By spreading the awareness they will do many projects that tie into helping society. 

“I want members to learn how science touches every facet of our world,” Hinote said. “It is literally all around us, and I want members to feel empowered when they can share their scientific knowledge with others.”

According to Article I Section 2 of the Constitution and By-laws of the SNHS, the purpose of this organization shall be to encourage participation in and recognition of scientific and intellectual thought. It is to advance the students’ knowledge of classical and modern science, to communicate with the scientific community, and to aid the civic community with its comprehension of science. It is to encourage students to participate in community service and, in turn, encourage a dedication to the pursuit of scientific knowledge that benefits all mankind. 

Members assist the community by earning service hours, helping with Junior Science Olympiad at Peeples Elementary, tutoring students at Starr’s Mill who are struggling in science, and also by helping with the Science Fair at Fayette County.

SNHS was approved at the end of last semester and started the induction process this semester.