Interact Club

Next year the Interact Club’s partner The Rotary Club will be starting a three-year foriegn exchange program. The Rotary Club will offer scholarships to cover some of the costs that come with the opportunity.

Addie Ellison, Staff Writer

The Interact Club, a part of the local Rotary Club and Rotaract Club, hosted their November meeting by having member Sandra Sacco speak. 

Sacco, a member of the local Rotary Club, spoke about a new up-and-coming project that will involve Starr’s Mill High School.

“This is called the Rotary Youth Exchange Program. Each year over 10,000 students participate world wide,” Sacco said. “It is a language and cultural experience, and it is through the efforts of Rotary Club.”

Starting next year, students under the age of 17 will be able to go and stay in a different country for a year as a foreign exchange student. The students should currently be in 8th, 9th, or 10th grade. The Rotary Club will be sponsoring these students to go to a country for a year for a cultural experience. 

The Rotary Youth Exchange Program will host a three-year program for applicants who are chosen. They will assist with foreign language training throughout the year that the applicants are at home. The Rotary Club will also help the student with cultural awareness throughout the year that they are at home. Then they will send the students to the country that they picked for a year. 

When they return to the U.S., applicants are required to complete a year of service projects with the Rotary Club.

Although the application process does not start until October 2020, the Rotary Club would like to start identifying applicants. Students and parents who would like more information can contact Sandra Sacco at [email protected]. Students wanting to apply for this new opportunity, should talk with their guidance counselor.