Orchestra concert plans to set a spooky mood

The+Starr%E2%80%99s+Mill+Orchestra+and+the+Rising+Starr+Orchestra+have+their+annual+Halloween+concert+at+6%3A30+p.m.+on+October+28+in+Duke+Auditorium.+The+arrangement+includes+Halloween+favorites+and+traditional+orchestra+music+with+a+Halloween+spin.+

Addie Ellison

The Starr’s Mill Orchestra and the Rising Starr Orchestra have their annual Halloween concert at 6:30 p.m. on October 28 in Duke Auditorium. The arrangement includes Halloween favorites and traditional orchestra music with a Halloween spin.

Addie Ellison, Staff Writer

Starr’s Mill orchestra is having a spooky concert to celebrate Halloween this year. 

At 6:30 p.m. on October 28, Starr’s Mill High School and Rising Starr Middle School Orchestras will perform their Halloween music to the public in Duke Auditorium. 

The concert will feature pieces from students sixth grade through twelfth grade all in the same night. Each grade level will showcase their own skill levels and what they have learned in the first nine weeks of their orchestra classes. The most advanced orchestra will do a level-six piece, the highest level available to orchestra students. 

“I like lights and sound, and like to do things that are kind of crazy, so we are going to a full-on light show with all sorts of fun things,” orchestra teacher Nathan Kufchak said. “This is also a great way to showcase middle school through high school since I teach both at Rising Starr and Starr’s Mill.”

Unlike some concerts, this concert will feature fun costumes, lights, and music. Students will wear Halloween costumes while entertaining the audience with  Halloweenn music. There will also be one piece with all the students performing on stage together.

“We are going to invite all of the students, all the middle school and high school students,” Kufchak said. “We should have about 120 students up on stage and we are going to play Ghostbusters.”

The selection includes pieces from “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them,” “Transylvanian Lullaby” from “Young Frankenstein,” and “This Is Halloween” from “The Nightmare Before Christmas.”

After the concert ends listeners are encouraged to go celebrate the holiday with the Trunk or Treat event in the teacher parking lot.