Starr’s Mill newspaper awarded Bright Ideas grant

Courtesy of Allen Leonard

Bright Ideas grant recipient Justin Spencer poses for a photo with representatives from the Coweta-Fayette Trust, Inc. This is the second time in three years that The Prowler has earned the award.

Adeline Harper, Staff Writer

For the second time in three years, The Prowler at Starr’s Mill High School has earned the Bright Ideas grant.

“The Prowler provides value for our students, our community, and our school as a whole,” principal Allen Leonard said. ”The Prowler does a great job of getting kids interested in journalism, getting kids experienced in journalism, and exposing them to different styles and methods of journalism.”

Applicants for the grant can receive up to $1,500. The Prowler is one of 27 recipients this year, receiving $1,326.94. Funds will be used to purchase audio and visual equipment, including a new video camera and a wireless four-microphone recording system.

“Under Justin Spencer’s leadership, [The Prowler] has done a really good job of transitioning to an online news source in a way that is much more modern,” Leonard said. “The growth of The Prowler is absolutely easy to identify [based on] the recognitions they get. The continued growth has been fantastic, and I always look forward to seeing what The Prowler will take on next.”

In order for schools to win the grant, they must meet certain criteria. The projects must benefit students in grades pre-K-12,  and create innovative learning experiences for students. Applicants must clearly define goals and learning objectives, provide immediate or ongoing benefits to students, and include a budget summary of the project.

This year, Coweta-Fayette EMC received 73 grant applications across both counties.

The Coweta-Fayette Trust, Inc. and Coweta-Fayette EMC sponsor Bright Ideas. The Trust administers “Operation Round-Up,” a program in which members volunteer to “round up” their power bills to the nearest whole dollar. The money goes directly to the Coweta-Fayette Trust, Inc.