Interact club focuses on student stress

Katie Johnson

This month’s Interact club guest speaker was Emmy West, an intern at Grow Counseling, who addressed ways to handle stress. The club meets again at 8 a.m. on December 7 in room 643.

Katie Johnson, Staff Writer

Last Tuesday’s Interact club meeting focused on how to manage stress.

Guest speaker Emmy Hendrix, an intern for Growth Counseling, started the meeting by asking the students in attendance how they handled stress. Some said drawing, listening to music, or maybe just crying. West then discussed her role as a counselor and how she approaches people’s situations when they come in to see her. 

After listening to what the students had to say, she explained different ways they can manage stress. One method is called “box breathing,” where a person breathes in for three seconds and then breathes out for another three, repeating this cycle until calm. 

She went on to encourage students to talk with a trusted adult about their feelings and the impact doing so can have.

The Interactive club meets once a month on Tuesday mornings at 8 a.m. in Marcela Sample’s room 643. Each meeting includes a guest speaker presenting on a topic the students have chosen in the previous meeting.

The next meeting is scheduled for December 7.