Literary-art magazine earns Superior rating

Starr’s Mill literary-art magazine earned a Superior rating in GSPA’s annual yearbook and literary magazine contest. Sophomore Maiah Pamor also earned Superior for her short story “A Soulmate That Wasn’t Meant To Be.”

Katie Johnson, Staff Writer

Musings, the Starr’s Mill literary- art magazine, earned a Superior rating from the Georgia Scholastic Press Association.

Sophomore Maiah Pamor also earned Superior for her short story “A Soulmate That Wasn’t Meant To Be.” 

“When I was writing the story my friend Jack Early had told me to watch ‘Game of Thrones,’ and after finishing season one I was really inspired by the fire imagery of the show,” Pamor said. “To be honest, I just wanted to write something and put it in the magazine, but receiving that award I was really happy about it.”

Magazine adviser and creative writing class teacher Dr. Bonnie Stanford submitted the magazine to GSPA through the University of Georgia. 

“This is the first time we submitted five [entries] in individual categories,” Stanford said. “We were very excited to win one.”

GSPA rates magazines in the areas of quality of content, variety of genres, organization, layout, editing, and proofreading.

All Starr’s Mill students are welcome to submit poetry, prose, or artwork. The submission process begins in the spring semester.