SkillsUSA member advances to state

Courtesy of Patt Coleman

Senior Madison Prince after her virtual interview, donning the SkillsUSA official wear. Prince placed second in the Job Interview category and will move on to the state round.

Cecily Shaber, Staff Writer

SkillsUSA competed in the organization’s virtual competition last week.

Due to a deviation from the original plan, the competition date changed and became virtual. Because of this change, Starr’s Mill ended up with only one representative in the competition, senior Madison Prince, who competed in the Job Interview category.

To prepare for the competition, Prince studied and prepared a job resume, and utilized her experience from previous authentic job interviews. The event took place on a live Zoom meeting, during which Prince was interviewed. In order to do well in the interview, Prince focused on being genuine.

“I think it was the fact that I wasn’t so monotone with my responses,” Prince said. “They weren’t very planned out so I was able to include funny stories or make the judges laugh to make it seem like I actually have a personality.”

SkillsUSA is a partnership between students, teachers, and industry, who join to build the skilled workforce of America. The organization is a nonprofit national education association that serves middle school, high school, and college/postsecondary students who are preparing for careers in various different fields.

Prince earned second place and will be going to the state competition on February 25-26 to represent Starr’s Mill.