Red out

Starr’s Mill hosting fundraiser for muscular dystrophy

The Starr’s Mill Panther family will show its support for a student currently inflicted by Duchenne. Everyone is encouraged to wear red to this Friday’s game in support of the cause.

Crista Alarcon, Staff Writer

The Starr’s Mill Panther family is coming together to support Coach to Cure MD and the Parent Project Muscular Dystrophy. The event will take place this Friday night in Panther Stadium as the Panthers host Troup County.

“We started looking into the situation and looking into what we could do to host that and draw awareness,” Ratliff said. “We made the decision that as a school it would be a good thing to have moving forward to bring awareness since we do have someone in our school who is suffering from this.”

Starr’s Mill will support the student with Duchenne by wearing red during the school day and encourages fans to wear red to the game. The student will represent Panther football as honorary captain and will speak prior to the game.

“This is obviously a very important cause for our school and our community and really society as a whole,” Principal Allen Leonard said. “It’s something we have a history of doing here at Starr’s Mill, trying to support important causes.”

Coaches will wear red patches, and players will wear stickers on their helmets in support of the cause.

Starr’s Mill hosts Troup this Friday at 7:30 p.m. Both teams are 1-0 in region play after Troup defeated Whitewater 43-33 last week and Starr’s Mill defeated Lagrange 25-24 in overtime.