Driving toward heartbreak

Photo via Instagram (@olivia.rodrigo)

Album cover for Olivia Rodrigo’s first standalone single. After starring in “High School Musical: The Musical: The Series,” Rodrigo has used her talents to release this emotional and captivating single titled, “drivers license.”

Joslyn Weber, Staff Writer

Starting off the new year with a sad note, “High School Musical: The Musical: The Series” star, Olivia Rodrigo, has released her first standalone single titled “driver’s license.” 

After releasing and writing a large part of the HSMTMTS soundtrack, Rodrigo has branched out and written a song of her own. As a break-up song, most of her audience believe it has something to do with her supposed recent breakup with co-star Joshua Bassett. 

After rumors of them dating offscreen began, Bassett and Rodrigo broke things off reportedly around mid-July 2020. After Bassett and “Girl Meets World” star and singer Sabrina Carpenter were spotted together on multiple occasions, Rodrigo started hinting at a new song.

The song opens with Rodrigo talking about her finally getting her license just like her and someone used to talk about. She then mentions a “blonde girl” who is “so much older” than her, Rodrigo being only 17 years old. Some fans believe this is about Sabrina Carpenter who is 21. 

In the beginning of the chorus, she says “[a]nd I know we weren’t perfect, but I’ve never felt this way for no one, and I just can’t imagine how you could be so okay now that I’m gone.” Her voice in these lyrics hold so much meaning and sadness that shakes you to your core. 

Thinking about the lyrics in depth gives a whole new perspective to the listener. Imagining someone who moved on so effortlessly without you hurts even if you haven’t felt it before. Listening to this song puts you right in Rodrigo’s shoes. 

Later in the chorus, she states, “[g]uess you didn’t mean what you wrote in that song about me.” The amount of emotion that she puts into this lyric is heartbreaking, even if you haven’t experienced heartbreak before. Some fans as well believe this is about Joshua Bassett’s recent singles, “Anyone Else” and “Common Sense,” released in July 2020.

She ends the song by saying, “[y]ou said forever, now I drive alone past your street,” which just adds to the amount of emotion and pain that echoes through Rodrigo’s voice.

Olivia Rodrigo’s powerful voice and talented lyricism combine to help listeners feel exactly what she wants you to feel. She even shares her own experiences, not only with her lyrics but with her voice, which gives the listener the chance to step into her shoes.

Releasing this song gave Rodrigo the chance to express herself and share her own feelings with the world. With “drivers license” becoming known worldwide, many fans excitedly await her next project.