Tennis teams move onto the state finals

Chumba Bikes – new mountain bike shoot in Austin Texas. Riders are Aaron Foreman, Vincent Colvin, Lloyd Clayton, Jeremy Giddens. Shot near Lake Travis 2014.

Nick Bryant, Staff Writer

The tennis teams clinched their state semifinal games against Kell High in the state semifinals on Monday and Tuesday. Both teams won their matches and are headed to the state finals on tomorrow against Lakeside Evans.

The first boys’ opened the match with three matches. Davis Wall played in the first and  won 6-3 and 6-0. The second match for the boys was a doubles match played by junior Shaaz Peerani and sophomore Cameron Kelly. They lost one match 6-3 but came back 6-1 and 6-2. The last one was a singles match played by junior Dubie Dubin, who won both matches 6-2.

The girls’ lineup was a singles match won by senior Caroline Kelly, who signed a scholarship to play at Mississippi State next year. She won both of her matches 7-5. Next up was freshman Elena Werneke. She dominated the first match 6-1 and won the second, 6-4. Playing the third  was freshman Anabelle Rockett who destroyed her opponent 6-0 and 6-4. In the first doubles match by the girls was played by juniors Mary Lloyd and Megan Beck who won their matches 6-1 and 6-3. The second round of doubles was played by sophomores Daniella Vivas and Olivia Walker. They won one match 6-4 and eked out the second match 7-6.

“It was very exciting to see such young talent come through for the team,” Caroline Kelly said. “Hopefully we will make it two state championships in a row.”

The girls will be playing tomorrow at 11:30a.m. at 2300 Georgia 138, Jonesboro, GA 30236 in Clayton county.