Athletes signing-off on their senior year

Six Panther athletes celebrated National Signing Day on Feb. 1. This handful of students will continue their athletic careers as collegiate student-athletes in the fall.

Daniella Vivas, Features co-Editor

From the intense pre-season conditioning to regular season practices, the Starr’s Mill athletics program makes sure that their athletes are ready to compete at their highest level. The goal behind the dedication for a handful of players is moving on into the collegiate level.  

“It’s an honor to have several of our student-athletes attain the level of skill and achievement so they are able to continue their athletic interest at the next level,” Athletic Director and Assistant Principal Sandy Martin said.

Six Starr’s Mill athletes, joined by their parents and coaches, participated in National Signing Day on Feb. 1.  They gathered in the media center in celebration of the students’ new endeavors upon entering college and taking their passion for the sport to the next level.

The Panther baseball program boasted the most signees. Will Collins will continue his career at the University of the South. Emory University welcomes Jack Moore to their baseball team. Baseball commit Chance Amell is “grateful for all opportunities [he has] been given [at Starr’s Mill] and [is] optimistic for what’s to come at Spartanburg Methodist,” Amell said. Will Evans committed to Birmingham Southern.

Tennis had a lone signee, Sydney Soto, who will attend Salisbury University in Maryland.

Region 3-AAAAA’s softball Player of the Year Shelby Daniel will attend Berry College in the fall. “I am very excited to take all that I’ve learned my last four years here on with me through this journey,” Daniel said.

The next signing day celebration will take place at 9:30 a.m. on April 12 in the Starr’s Mill media center.