Multiple top performers place at state track and field competition

Courtesy of Chad Walker / @SMTrackandfield

Starr’s Mill High School boys’ track and field team poses with their runner-up trophy in the AAAAA GHSA state championship. The boys team made up for their fourth place finish last year with the second place finish this year. Top performers included two first place finishes by junior Harrison Fultz, a first place finish by junior Nick Nyman, and a third place finish by senior Brandon Rew.

Ben Barkley, Staff Writer

The Panther track and field team travelled to Carrollton this past weekend to compete in the GHSA AAAAA state championship. The Mill wanted to improve from last year’s fourth place finish from the boys’ side, and seventh place finish for the girls. While the girls finished 16th overall this year, the boys had one of their best years in school history as they placed second, only 12 points behind state champion Dutchtown.

“I’m proud of this team,” head coach Chad Walker said. “They have exceeded all expectations.”

For the girls, senior Mary Valli placed eighth in the 3200-meter. In the 100-meter hurdles, sophomore Sarah Goins finished in sixth place with a time of 15.18 seconds. The 4×400-meter relay team of senior Tracey Kanya and juniors Tara Davis, Bree St. Julian, and Lea Duben finished in sixth place. On the field side, sophomore Julia Colson finished fifth in the pole vault, and senior Kailani Serapion finished ninth in the discus throw.

For the boys, junior Harrison Fultz finished first in the 800-meter run. Fultz also placed first in the 1600-meter, with junior Nick Nyman finishing second. Nyman would also place first in the 3200-meter, and junior Ty Duben finished in ninth place.

Senior Brandon Rew placed third in the 300-meter hurdles. The men’s 4×400-meter relay team of seniors Mattheus Torris and Rew and juniors Fultz and Mitchell Harris, finished in seventh. For field, senior Devin Lohman finished 12th in the high jump, and senior Eric Donevant finished seventh in the shot put.

“Both sides had some great finishes, and I can’t wait to hopefully improve again next season,” Walker said.

Click here for the full AAAAA results.