Girls swim places 2nd at Paw Power Invitational

Sophomore+Emma+Frank+races+against+a+McIntosh+swimmer+in+the+200-yard+freestyle.+Frank+qualified+for+the+GHSA+State+Championship+and+placed+1st+in+the+event.+

Craig Bardo

Sophomore Emma Frank races against a McIntosh swimmer in the 200-yard freestyle. Frank qualified for the GHSA State Championship and placed 1st in the event.

Peter Beardsley, Staff Writer

Last Saturday, the girls swim team placed 2nd at the Paw Power Invitational at Adairsville High School.

Many girls qualified for the GHSA State Championship hosted at Georgia Tech on February 4 and 5. 

Sophomore Emma Frank qualified for the 200-yard freestyle and the 100 freestyle. Sophomore Katie Rausch, Junior Amelia Santos, and senior Kenzie Tucker also qualified for the 100 freestyle. Santos additionally qualified for the 50 freestyle, while Tucker qualified for the 100 backstroke.

“Qualifying for state has been a really good experience,” sophomore Emma Frank said. “I train hard and then when I race it pays off, which feels really good.” 

The team received points in other events from senior Maddie Bacon in the 100 breaststroke. The 400 freestyle relay placed first with the help of Frank, Santos, Tucker, and Alana Burrows. They had a time of 3.58.07.

The team placed 29 points behind McIntosh High School who won the invitational. 

“I think the meet had a lot of good competition,” head coach Robin Huggins said. ’There were some fast swimmers which gave our girls an opportunity to swim fast. We swam against McIntosh, which is who our big competition is for [the county meet].”

The team will swim tonight at the Kedron Aquatic Center for their chance to win the school’s 22nd straight County Championship. The meet starts at 6 p.m. The boys team will swim on Friday.