JV girls basketball celebrate growth in successful season

Craig Bardo

Freshman Gabby Roach dribbles the ball up the court. Roach was a big part of this basketball season for the Panthers, often leading the team in scoring.

Jessica Doyle, Staff Writer

The JV girls basketball team finished their season on January 28 with nine wins, one loss. 

“It was fun for me to watch these girls improve,” head coach Peyton Dean said. “Watching their game improve and them now being able to do the little things now and understand the flow of the basketball game.”

The Lady Panthers had a great season, winning every game but one. The only loss came against McIntosh.

The biggest obstacle of the season was the team’s last game against Northgate. The team faced its largest deficit during the game, but fought back little by little to win and finish the season strong.

“We stuck to what we knew was our form of basketball, and it ended up working out in our favor,” Dean said. 

Coach Dean said she saw significant growth in the girls throughout the season. Players learned new offensive schemes at the high school level, and learned how to read and respond to what was going on in the game. 

The freshman on the team transitioned well into the high school environment. The team’s most important lesson learned was to be accountable and to rely on their teammates. 

Both varsity teams play this week in the region tournament at Griffin High School. The girls play tonight at 6 p.m. The boys play at 7:30 p.m. on February 8.