Lady Panthers lose to tough East Coweta team

Craig Bardo

Freshman Isabella Large (18) falls in front of a Lady Indian opponent. The Lady Panthers could not overcome the pressure from East Coweta, losing 4-0.

Jessica Doyle, Staff Writer

Starr’s Mill could not overcome pressure from AAAAAAA opponent East Coweta last Friday, losing 4-0.

“We just don’t communicate well,” junior Lauren Gutshall said. “We need to practice, do drills to help us talk to each other, even bonding outside of team sports can help.” 

East Coweta scored the first goal to take control of the game. Despite added pressure from the Lady Indians, the teams remained evenly matched until East Coweta scored again to go up 2-0.

The Panthers managed to score once and attempt to cut the lead in half, but the shot was ruled offside. After that, the Lady Indians increased the lead with two more goals before winning the match 4-0.

“There’s a little bit of everything we need to work on,” head coach John Bowen said. “If the mentality is right, everything else is good.”

Starr’s Mill hosts McIntosh tonight in the annual Battle for the Troops match with the region 2-AAAAA title on the line. The match begins at 6 p.m.