The student-run online newspaper for Starr's Mill High School

farmers temporary
KSM

Varsity boys basketball start season with 50-37 win

Page Barksdale
Junior William Robinson attempts a free throw. Following a slow first half, the Panthers defeated Locust Grove, 50-37.

Starr’s Mill varsity boys basketball team beat Locust Grove 50-37 on Saturday, November 18.

“We kept up the hustle,” senior Steven Barro said. “It made us play better.”

Within the first quarter, the team maintained good ball control, getting it to Barros for the first two points of the game in the first two minutes. The team continued the momentum with junior William Robinson scoring two more points. Locust Grove took the ball near the end of the quarter, scoring two points and ending the quarter with a score of 4-2.

“We need to be more composed when breaking the press,” head coach Josh Reeves said.

The second quarter consisted of Starr’s Mill maintaining that ball control and working closely together to continue scoring on Locust Grove. In this quarter, Locust Grove ended up scoring 10 points while Starr’s Mill scored 17. The Panthers held a 21-12 lead at halftime.

“We had a rough first half, but after that we played really well,” Robinson said.

Going into the second half, the team maintained their momentum, making this the highest-scoring quarter with 18 points scored by Starr’s Mill.

Starr’s Mill closed out the game by scoring 11 points against Locust Grove. Between the last two quarters, Locust Grove only scored 25 points versus 29 for Starr’s Mill. The Panthers won 50-37.

Varsity boys basketball played again against Social Circle and Chestatee last week and won both games. They travel to play Jackson at 7 p.m. on November 30.