• Competitive One Act wins AAAAA state championship

• Football wins region 3-AAAAA for 2nd straight year, hosts Bainbridge Nov. 10

• Junior Nick Nyman wins AAAAA boys' cross country state title, team finishes 2nd overall

• Science teacher Kelly Rock named 2018 Teacher of the Year

The student-run online newspaper for Starr's Mill High School

Economics Club

A+member+of+Econ+Club+shows+off+the+shirts+made+to+honor+the+Econ+Challenge.+This+year%E2%80%99s+team+did+not+place+in+the+annual+Econ+Challenge+held+at+the+Atlanta+Federal+Reserve%2C+but+Decourcy+plans+on+attending+next+year.+
A member of Econ Club shows off the shirts made to honor the Econ Challenge. This year’s team did not place in the annual Econ Challenge held at the Atlanta Federal Reserve, but Decourcy plans on attending next year.

Yuri-Grace Ohashi

Yuri-Grace Ohashi

Emma Posey, Staff Writer

Purpose

• To engage in discussion and knowledge of current events
  • To prepare for the Economics Challenge

Details

• Meets before school two days a month in economics teacher Mark Decourcy’s room
  • Officers: seniors Ethan Roland, Russell Marcum, and Ansley Peurifoy
  • All students are welcome to join

Sponsor

• Mark Decourcy

Mark Decourcy, economics teacher at the Mill, became the sponsor of the Economics Club this year after one of his students came to him with the idea of starting it. The student had an interest in the Econ Challenge and wanted to get a group together to begin studying for it.

Roland, Marcum, and Peurifoy are the directors this year. Roland led the group through study sessions for the Econ Challenge and Marcum led current events with the group while they drank coffee in the mornings. Meanwhile, Peurifoy handled social media.

The Econ Challenge is made up of two divisions: De ricardo, similar to college prep classes, and Adam Smith, similar to advanced placement and international baccalaureate. There are teams of four in each division and each team takes three tests. The top scores from each team are then added to make up their composite scores. The top two teams move on to the quiz bowl round. Although the Starr’s Mill team did not place at this year’s challenge, Decourcy plans to attend in years to come.

“Economics is life. It is a universally applicable discipline to everything,” Decourcy said. “I think that this is single-handedly the most important class that you will ever have besides learning to read and write.”

Decourcy is excited to carry on the traditions of the club next year and would like more people to join next year. “This was the first year so I liked the fact that these guys took charge and they actually had fun with it,” Decourcy said.

Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes cast)