Kelly Corallo

Maria Victoria Sponar, Staff Writer

“I want to foster as much of a love for the subject as I can, so anything I can do in that endeavor is what I’m going to try to do in class.”

Background

• Grew up in Peachtree City
  • Graduated from McIntosh High School

Education

• Bachelor of Arts degree in English Literature, Latin, and Irish Studies from Georgia Southern University

Responsibilities

• Teaches 9th and 10th grade English

Kelly Corallo has returned to the ‘Bubble’ as a 9th and 10th grade English teacher. She says that she was glad to begin teaching here because “we can actually focus on the subject, which is fun for me because it’s what I love,” Corallo said.

Corallo has been living and teaching in Jacksonville, Fla., for the past three years. When she was in high school, Corallo wanted to be an architect but grew fond of archaeology after studying Latin for three years. Soon she realized that she was “much better suited” for English and wanted to work with younger students because “college kids are coming into college not knowing things and I wanted to try and fix that as best as I could,” Corallo said.

The English teacher feels that school year will go well, and she hopes that in her classroom students will “feel like they can be who they are in my room without being judged for it,” Corallo said.

Corallo also pointed out that she wants her students to “actually grasp what they’re doing, and not feel like they’re reading stuff by old rich white guys and only old rich white guys because that’s just not the demographics of everyone here,” Corallo said.