Spotlight On…

Elise Heaton

Jax Rainey, Staff Writer

Education

• Bachelor’s degree in political science and German from the University of Michigan
  • Master’s degree in education from the University of Michigan
  • Specialist’s degree in curriculum and instruction from Lincoln Memorial in Tennessee
  • Currently working on a doctorate from Kennesaw State University

Duties and Responsibilities

• Multi-tiered system of supports and 504 coordinator
  • PSAT testing and AP testing
  • Oversees clubs and organizations

Background

• Instructional coach for 5 years at Greenville Middle-High School in Meriwether County 
  • Social studies and German teacher for 10 years at Spalding High School in Spalding County

Starr’s Mill is proud to welcome assistant principal Elise Heaton after she spent the last five years at Greenville Middle-High School. 

“There’s a lot of school spirit here, but it manifests itself in different ways, so it might be writing for the paper, [or] it might be dressing up for the football games,” Heaton said. “There’s just so many opportunities for students to shine, and I really love being able to see students shine in those different ways here.” 

Heaton believes that in order for a school to be successful you need administrators and leaders who will not tell teachers and students what to do, but help support them to grow and be successful on their own. She wanted to make the transition from teacher to an administrator to help broaden her positive influence so she can help support teachers who can then support more students.

“Instead of micromanaging, and sometimes it can feel that way when we’re getting onto students for dress code and things like that, but really what we’re trying to do is facilitate a positive and successful environment so everyone can thrive,” Heaton said.

In her free time, Heaton enjoys traveling, playing fantasy football, and relaxing by a pool or a beach.