Former Miss Starr’s Mill 2014 gains another title

Abby Feltner smiles brightly as she receives her new crown from the former state title holder Olivia McMillan.

Taylor Milligan, Staff Writer

As senior Abby Feltner watched Olivia McMillan win the title of Miss America’s Outstanding Teen in August, her only emotion was joy for her friend. It took a while for it to sink in that she too had just won a crown.

Since McMillan became Miss America’s Outstanding Teen, Feltner, as the first runner-up in the state pageant, was promoted to Miss Georgia’s Outstanding Teen.

McMillan and Feltner competed together in the Miss Georgia’s Outstanding Teen pageant in June. “We wrote ourselves off as the underdogs,” said Feltner because neither of them grew up competing in pageants.

In fact, Feltner’s first such competition was the Miss Starr’s Mill Pageant during her sophomore year. She was the first runner-up to Miss Starr’s Mill Emma Werneke. As a junior, Feltner competed again and won the crown. Between her two pageants, Feltner won a total of $3,500 in scholarship money and learned a lot more about pageant life.

In preparation for the Miss Georgia’s Outstanding Teen pageant, Feltner first had to choose a platform, which is a cause that a contestant volunteers her time for. She decided to team up with Music and Memory, an international organization that works with Alzheimer’s patients by using different techniques to help them regain old memories. The specific technique Feltner worked on was getting people in the community to donate iPods to Alzheimer’s patients. Patients could listen to music from their past to help them recall precious emotions and memories. “This potentially improves their memory,” Feltner said “It gives the patients an opportunity to feel joy and improves cognitive skills.”

For the Miss Georgia’s Outstanding Teen pageant Feltner sang “If I Can Dream” by Elvis Presley. “It’s so fun to perform,” Feltner said. She described the song as vocally demanding and enjoyed that it displayed her vocal range.

Feltner said that she is always nervous before she performs, especially when performing before large crowds. To calm herself, Feltner said she pretends she is singing at an “old timey jazz club.” She said it takes her back in time and makes the situation more comfortable. It also makes the size of the crowd seem smaller making it easier to perform.

After moving from first runner-up status to the new reigning teen, Feltner said she  has shifted her perspective on pageants. “At first the pageant was something I never saw myself doing,” Feltner said. “I always kind of just flew under the radar.”  Now,  Feltner said, she has gained confidence and wears her new crown proudly.  She also said that pageants helped her learn how to balance her life. Feltner still plays lacrosse and maintains top grades. As part of her new title, she helps out at local pageants by participating in their crowning ceremonies.

Because of her title, Feltner gets to participate in pageants across the country. Feltner attended the Miss America Pageant Sept. 15 in Atlantic City when she accompanied Miss Georgia, Maggie Bridges, as her “little sister queen.”  While there for the weekend’s festivities, Feltner said she and other teen state queens went to the Children’s Miracle Network Hospital and spoke with some of the children.

In the last year, Feltner said she has had many life-changing experiences that would not have been possible without the help of those around her.

Feltner expressed her gratitude for the people who played a part in getting her where she is today. She especially wanted to thank her vocal and pageant coach Thomas Barnette, who always emphasized that she shouldn’t let small obstacles get to her. “He would always tell me to just let it go,” Feltner said. “He made the experience as joyful as possible.”

She also wanted to thank SMHS Drama director David Spearman and former Panther and Drama student Zach Stutts. She said Spearman made sure all her paperwork was in on time and introduced her to her dressmaker.  Stutts, who comes in to assist Spearman with the fall and spring productions, helped Feltner perfect her song by giving her tips and techniques to improve her singing. “He was basically like a big brother,” Feltner said.

She was also grateful for the support her mother Allison Feltner provided. “My mom was definitely my rock,” Feltner said.

Feltner said she is looking forward to passing on the crown to the next winner of the Miss Starr’s Mill Pageant, which will be held in the Willie Duke Auditorium Jan. 8, 9, and 10.