Games liven up winter pep rally

The Pantherette dance team poses in sync during their energy-filled performance.

Taylor Milligan, Staff Writer

Brothers senior Mitch and sophomore Mick Pattison not only look alike, but they also think alike, and it showed through their technique in the wheelbarrow race at this year’s winter pep rally Friday, Feb. 6, in the gym.

In the race, one of the players held the ankles of his or her sibling who “ran” across the court on his or her hands. The Pattisons seemed to have quickly devised a plan so they wouldn’t tumble over or drop each other. They ended up taking the lead because of their similarity in size and solid strategy. Instead of racing as fast as they could, the brothers kept a steady pace, worked as a unit and won.

The senior class officers kicked off the rally with an energetic introduction of the captains of each of the winter sports team from basketball, wrestling and swimming. As each name was called, members of the student body, who filled the stands during the last period of the day,  burst into applause commending the captains for their leadership throughout the season.

The next portion of the rally was a cheer routine with the male captains of the winter sports teams. The cheerleaders ushered the wrestling and swimming captains to an area behind the bleachers, gave them some uniforms,  and quickly taught them three to four cheers to perform for the crowd while the other events took place. The boys then strutted out a few minutes later in their new cheerleading uniforms and confidently belted out the cheers.

The Pantherettes’ dance team also performed during the rally and dazzled the crowd with an energetic routine to an upbeat hip-hop medley. Their intricate dance moves wowed the crowed and as they struck their final pose, they smiled brightly, soaking in the applause.

Later in the event, two players from each of the basketball teams competed in a three-point shoot out. The ultimate goal was for the players to make the most three-point shots while alternating turns with their partners.  The fast-paced game concluded with seniors  Zack Richards and Natalie Orcutt outscoring junior Laurel Parker and senior Eric Sutliff.

Two students from each grade level were also selected to participate in a dance-off. Most of the contestants were reluctant as the music started to play, but when freshmen Nick Brown and Cole Elrod took the floor, they shocked the crowd with their impressive moves and enticed the other participants to join in.

Overall, the rally was a montage of games, races and dancing, but it also gave recognition to the winter sports teams for their performance this season.