Ex Libris readies for its January read-a-thon

Ex+Libris+officers+and+sponsors+meet+to+discuss+plans+for+their+upcoming+annual+read-a-thon.+

Sophie Handel

Ex Libris officers and sponsors meet to discuss plans for their upcoming annual read-a-thon.

Sophie Handel, Staff Writer

Five hours, 30 students, and a projected $1,200 raised for charity. That’s what the officers and sponsors of  Ex Libris have in mind for their planned January read-a-thon.

Each year, the book club hosts a read-a-thon to raise money for a charity chosen by club sponsor and Media Center Director LeighAnne Hanie. Around 30 students are expected to gather in the Media Center on a Friday night in January for five hours of reading.  Hanie said the date will be set once students return from winter break in early January.

Students get “pledges” from family and friends who agree to pay the participant a certain amount based on the number of pages they read, Hanie said.

This year’s charity is Child Aid in Guatemala, which provides books and literacy training for teachers. “We’ve never done a Central American charity before, and it’s definitely an area that needs it,” Ex Libris co-sponsor Lela Crowder said.

The week leading up to the read-a-thon will be filled with activities to promote student interest in the event. “We will have a local author come in and talk to kids during lunch,” Ex Libris president Lydia Powell said. Ms. Hanie is also trying to get a well-known author to Skype with us.”

Hanie said she is hoping that this read-a-thon will be one of the best yet.  “We have more members in the club than ever before, so we’re expecting a great turnout and lots of money raised for charity.”