Junior Brittany Clarke earns Girl of the Year honors

Submitted by Brittany Clarke

Junior Brittany Clarke’s involvement and interest in robotics earned her the Girl of the Year award from Atlanta-based Women in Technology.

Hayeon Choi, Staff Writer

Junior Brittany Clarke has earned the Girl of the Year award from Women in Technology.  Clarke received this award for her involvement in Girl Scouts, FIRST Robotics, Health Care Occupation Students of America, Chess Club, Book Club, and Society of Women Engineers.

“I’ve won plenty of trophies, but this is definitely a favorite and an honor,” Clarke said.

This annual award recognizes a girl who shows a strong interest in science, technology, engineering or math and who has been fully engaged in one or more WIT program in 2016. Created in 2012, the award helps fulfill WIT’s commitment to support the entire life cycle of a woman’s career in STEM.

Clarke’s interest in robotics originated through Girl Scouts when she volunteered for a STEM event in the technology department. Clarke started in First Lego League, a robotics program for girls and boys ages 9-12 interested in the robotics process. Last year, she also participated in the First Technical Challenge and the First Robotics Challenge, two competitions where students code robots.

“I like robotics for lots of reasons. The most important reason I think is that it’s fun and it teaches you life lessons and gives you experience in a working environment,” Clarke said.