You’ve got “Fail Mail”

Yuri-Grace Ohashi

Starting this school year, parents of students at the Mill are notified via email every Friday at 4 p.m. if their child earned any failing grades that week.

Spencer Dawson, Features co-Editor

Students at Starr’s Mill High School check their Infinite Campus accounts and see failing grade notifications. They begin to dread the moment they will have to go home and tell their parents about this issue and stress about what their parents’ reactions will be. However, starting this year, the administration has taken this matter into their own hands.  By the time the student arrives at home, the parents have already received an email regarding the failed assignment.

“Fail mail” is an automatic email generated through Infinite Campus that is sent out to parents every Friday at 4 p.m. that shows a student’s failing grades for the week. “‘Fail Mail” was presented to the high schools as an additional method for notifying parents of failing and/or missing grades,” assistant principal Kristyn Glover said. “While some parents check Infinite Campus regularly, we found that having an email sent directly to a parent’s inbox was a more effective method for notification.”

All guardians that are listed in Infinite Campus to receive notifications receive the email. Parents are no longer required to log into a student’s Infinite Campus account to see failing grades or missing assignments. “Often times if students haven’t turned in work and/or are absent and have multiple assignments to make up, sending the notification reminds the parents and student that the work needs to be turned in,” Glover said.

Despite potential backlash from students regarding the emails, Starr’s Mill’s administration is confident that the benefits will outweigh the negatives and further encourage student success. “We have received positive feedback from parents and teachers. It is not intended to be a ‘gotcha!’ for students, but rather an additional notification,” Glover said.