The magnificent seven

Seven Panthers earn Seal of Biliteracy

For+the+first+time%2C+the+Georgia+Board+of+Education+is+giving+students+who+have+mastered+two+languages+in+high+school+the+Seal+of+Biliteracy.+The+seniors+who+qualified+for+the+seal+will+receive+it+during+the+graduation+ceremony+May+26+in+Panther+Stadium.+

Submitted by Madeline Rodriguez

For the first time, the Georgia Board of Education is giving students who have mastered two languages in high school the Seal of Biliteracy. The seniors who qualified for the seal will receive it during the graduation ceremony May 26 in Panther Stadium.

Hayeon Choi, Staff Writer

For the first time, Starr’s Mill students will receive the Seal of Biliteracy from Georgia Department of Education. Seniors Connor Donahue, Christopher Hollingsworth, Genie Horne, William Porter, Cassidy Powell, Griffin Tillman and Josh Tysor have earned the distinction.

[T]hese students have mastered more than their first language. They mastered a second language.

— Spanish teacher Madeline Rodriguez

“This is outstanding. This award is proving that these students have mastered more than their first language,” Spanish III and AP Spanish Language and Culture teacher Madeline Rodriguez said. “They mastered a second language. They can read, write, and speak at an intermediate level.”

The Seal of Biliteracy recognizes students who have studied and attained proficiency in two or more languages prior to graduation. In order to receive the seal on their official graduation diploma, students have to earn a minimum 3.0 grade point average in English and a four or a five on the Advanced Placement exam for a world language. In Georgia, the state’s Department of education is responsible for distributing the seals.

To receive this honor, students must take an AP world language class in high school. Currently, Fayette County only offers AP Spanish as a AP world language course. The recipients from Starr’s Mill took the course as juniors during the 2016-17 school year.

Starr’s Mill is the only school in Fayette County with students who will receive the Seal of Biliteracy at graduation ceremonies Memorial Day weekend.