Two Lady Panthers receive Fayette County honors

Lilly Carter

Sophomore Paige Andrews sends a ball to the plate. Andrews was awarded with Pitcher of the Year from the Fayette Daily News of the 2017 year.

Jenna Sanders, Sports co-Editor

Two Lady Panthers recently received recognition from the Fayette Daily News. Sophomore Paige Andrews was named Pitcher of the Year, while freshman Lauren Flanders was named as a part of the All-Star Freshman Team.

“For Paige, her numbers were really good. Andrews [played the best] against the best teams. She had the best win record,” managing editor for the Fayette Daily News Chris Dunn said. “Flanders was as disruptive of a force on the base as on on the plate. I think she is going to be very special.”

Shelby Foster
Freshman Lauren Flanders takes off from third base. Flanders was placed on the Freshman All-Star Team due to her all around successful play.

Andrews threw for the Mill with a 1.76 ERA and 40 strikeouts in 75 innings. She also was successful at the plate with a .371 batting average and 17 RBIs in 70 plate appearances.

“Probably coach Williamson [pushed me to where I am now] because he is supportive, and I think my teammates also helped,” Andrews said when asked about how she has improved as a player.

Flanders, an outfielder and second baseman, was successful at the plate batting .443, and contributing 40 runs with only one strikeout in 79 at-bats.. She also completed 30 steals in 32 attempts. The freshman infielder helped the Lady Panthers win region 3-AAAAA for the first time since 2006.

“I think it’s pretty cool that I was recognized with a lot of other girls throughout the state,” Flanders said. “It’s not just your team that you’re compared to, it’s all of the teams around.”