King of the Mill

Starr’s Mill to host first Mr. Starr’s Mill pageant this spring

This+April%2C+Starr%E2%80%99s+Mill+will+crown+a+Mr.+Starr%E2%80%99s+Mill+for+the+first+time.+The+top+three+competitors+and+the+People%E2%80%99s+Choice+winners+will+be+awarded+with+cash+prizes.+

Katie Linkner

This April, Starr’s Mill will crown a Mr. Starr’s Mill for the first time. The top three competitors and the People’s Choice winners will be awarded with cash prizes.

Hayeon Choi, Staff Writer

For the first time in school history, Starr’s Mill will be holding a pageant to name a Mr. Starr’s Mill. The purpose of this event is purely for entertainment and also gives guys equal opportunity to compete in a pageant.

“I think it is pretty cool,” Student Government Association sponsor Whitney Shoemaker said. “We did it when I was in college…It’s supposed to be fun.”

The idea of Mr. Starr’s Mill came from two juniors, Emma Posey and Madison Knowlton. Starr’s Mill’s Principal Allen Leonard approved this event to officially take place. Mr. Starr’s Mill is cooperating with Student Government Association club for the whole event and the canned food drive.

“I didn’t think [the pageant] was actually going to happen,” junior Emma Posey, one of the pageant coordinators, said.

Mr. Starr’s Mill is different from Miss Starr’s Mill in categories, awards, and purpose. Mr. Starr’s Mill will be judged in three categories — casual wear, talent, and date wear. There will be judges who will determine the top three winners, but Mr. Starr’s Mill will also have a People’s Choice award.

The winner for the People’s Choice award will be determined through people voting at the pageant. In order to vote, people can pay money or bring cans to donate. The donated cans will go to a canned food drive.

Unlike Miss Starr’s Mill, Mr. Starr’s Mill does not have a scholarship award. However, the People’s Choice award winner and the top three winners will receive cash prices.

Any male Starr’s Mill student can participate in this event. The interest meeting will be held on March 7 in Shoemaker’s room 715, with the pageant being held in Duke Auditorium on April 21.