The giving season

Panther clubs and organizations lending a helping hand during the holiday season

Three+organizations+around+Starr%E2%80%99s+Mill+are+finding+ways+to+give+back+to+the+local+community+this+holiday+season.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

The giving season

Three organizations around Starr’s Mill are finding ways to give back to the local community this holiday season.

Annika Pepper

Annika Pepper

Annika Pepper

Addie Ellison, Staff Writer

Different clubs around Starr’s Mill are finding unique ways to show the local community love this holiday season.

The Optimist Club, which focuses on being “prosocial,” is helping families who are having trouble financially. The club raised money around Halloween for their causes. With that money, they will purchase food, gifts, and necessities for the families that are chosen.

“We are able to provide, due to the amount people and wealth in the county, to then give back locally,” Optimist Club sponsor Sean Hickey said.

The Beta club will also spread some joy this season. The members of the club will buy gift cards from Target and Walmart. These go to Georgia Baptist Children’s Home and Christian City Children’s Home. The organizations then buy presents and essentials for the children in their homes.

“We want to continue encouraging service projects, and helping kids find a service project that they are interested in,” Beta Club sponsor Kelly Rock said.

The Drama II class will also be helping children this season. They are performing “Snow Queen” on Dec 7. Instead of charging admission, the cast is asking that the public bring an unwrapped toy for Toys for Tots.

Panthers across the school are choosing to give back.  From the Optimist to the Thespians, Starr’s Mill High School students can find multiple ways to help the community this season.

Rating: 5.0/5 (4 votes cast)
The giving season, 5.0 out of 5 based on 4 ratings
1 Comment

One Response to “The giving season”

1. Marie Ellison on December 8th, 2018 2:38 pm

So thankful that young people today are remembering the real spirit of Christmas. Great article

• The giving season

NEWS

Busy weekend showcases Panther excellence

• The giving season

NEWS

Mama Mia dinner is back!

• The giving season

NEWS

Starr’s Mill implementing positive behavior program

• The giving season

Keeping it current

Weird holidays meet weird headlines

• The giving season

NEWS

Student choice creates new electives