Battle of the poets

Applications for annual poetry recitation contest now available

Starr’s Mill will host the first round of the Poetry Out Loud recitation contest in Brandon Kendall’s room on Jan.y 23. The winner will have a chance to win $20,000 and a trip to Washington, D.C.

PoetryOutLoud.org

Jacob Hunt, News Editor

The annual Poetry Out Loud recitation contest is about to begin at Starr’s Mill and the prizes and stakes have never been higher.

Starting Jan. 23 in Brandon Kendall’s room, Starr’s Mill students will go head to head reciting two memorized poems, to try and earn a place in the state competition.

From there one state bound student will have another chance to win an all expense paid trip to Washington, D.C., and an opportunity to compete for a $20,000 scholarship in the national tournament.

It’s an opportunity students won’t want to miss!

“[Poetry Out Loud] is an organization that focuses on poetry recitation and performance,” Kendall said. “It spreads the love of poetry and recitation.”

Participants must be in high school and choose two poems from the Poetry Out Loud website. But students need to hurry, because Kendall must have a final participation roster by Friday and the competition is only one week from today.  

Panthers, choose your poems today and become the next winner of $20,000 from Poetry Out Loud.