Three FCCLA members advance to state competition

FCCLA+donates+socks+to+a+local+homeless+shelter.+The+organization+focuses+on+helping+the+community+and+building+leaders.+

Courtesy of Hope Via

FCCLA donates socks to a local homeless shelter. The organization focuses on helping the community and building leaders.

Addie Ellison, Staff Writer

There are many service organizations around Starr’s Mill. One example is Family, Career and Community Leaders of America. FCCLA gives students a place to develop their leadership potential for work and at home.

“We have STAR Events — there are lots of different event options to choose from. This year we have students competing in Digital Storytelling, Chapter Website, Teach and Train, Leadership and Environmental Ambassador,” FCCLA sponsor Hope Via said.

Two groups that recently competed at regions have moved on to the state competition. Seniors Sarah Karol and Abby Weaver advanced for Environmental Ambassador.Sophomore Kayla Dahn moved on for Teach and Train.

The next FCCLA competition will be the State Leadership Conference on March 15-17. The participants may advance to the national competition June 30 through July 4 in Anaheim, California. During the last four years, the Mill’s FCCLA has qualified for the national level.

FCCLA is also a service organization with. The organization has 5,300 chapters in 49 states, included the Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico. FCCLA also does service projects for the community. This The Starr’s Mill chapter focuses on collecting money and supplies for various service programs.