Starr’s Mill theatre to perform at ThesCon

Starr%E2%80%99s+Mill+Thespians+pose+after+winning+the+regional+One+Act+competition+last+fall+with+their+performance+of+%E2%80%9CGatsby.%E2%80%9D+For+the+first+time+in+school+history%2C+Starr%E2%80%99s+Mill+will+perform+at+the+annual+Thespian+Conference+in+Columbus.+

Courtesy of Jeannie Little

Starr’s Mill Thespians pose after winning the regional One Act competition last fall with their performance of “Gatsby.” For the first time in school history, Starr’s Mill will perform at the annual Thespian Conference in Columbus.

Mateya Petrova, Staff Writer

Starr’s Mill Thespian Troupe 6412 is heading to its annual thespian conference this weekend. 

This year, however, the annual trip is extra special. The troupe will perform “Gatsby,” their competitive One Act play from last fall, in front of other conference attendees. This marks the first time in school history that Starr’s Mill thespians have performed at ThesCon. 

“We are super excited and overwhelmed but in a good way,” drama director Lauren Kuykendall said. “It’s a lot of work to perform in front of a lot of people.” 

This conference, held each year in Columbus, Georgia, is for theatre students who are involved in their school’s chapter of Thespian Society.

During the event, students can see what other shows schools are performing. They also attend master classes and workshops with theatre professionals from across the country. 

“I love seeing students experience theatre culture for the first time,” Kuykendall said. I like seeing them take the workshops and see the shows.”

The conference runs for three days beginning February 3.