Yik Yak runs rampant through Starr’s Mill

Abby Carter, Editor-in-Chief

Yik Yak is a returning social media platform being turned into another outlet for cyberbullies to congregate. 

Screenshot

Unlike Instagram, Tiktok, Twitter, and Facebook, where usernames can be traced back to an individual, Yik Yak advertises the option for posts to be made anonymously and to connect with people within a five mile radius without social labels. 

“Social Media can be a powerful tool to connect the world, it can be a positive thing when used positively,” Principal Allen Leonard said. “However, what history has shown is that these kinds of anonymous messaging apps are used almost consistently and exclusively for negative things, and that’s unfortunate.” 

This is not the first time users of the app misused the intended purpose. Back in 2017 Yik Yak shut down because users were posting racially insensitive content, sexually harassing others, and making threats, which led to its removal throughout schools, following the app’s depleting popularity. 

Screenshot

An uproar occurred in Starr’s Mill earlier this week when unidentified posts about classmates and faculty members spread like wildfire. These actions can lead to serious repercussions and consequences if students continue to spread rumors and threats via the app. 

Even though it claims to be anonymous, authorities can look into the app and trace it back to the user’s phone number and IP address. 

“Bullying in general is something that you can be charged with if we can find out who you are,” School Resource Office Zane Taylor said. “Harassing communications is also something you can be charged with if it’s being done on social media.”

The county is working to block Yik Yak on school WiFi. Beyond that the school can only encourage students to not download the app, post on it, or feed into others’ content. 

“I would delete your Yik Yak app and block it from any sort of device you might have,” Leonard said. “There is zero positive that can come from any app of this sort, which is why Yik Yak was shut down in 2017.”