Panther Pride members chosen for District Honor Band and All-State Band

Jenson Mahr

Trophies displayed in the band room. Multiple members of the Panther Pride Band have been chosen for District Honor Band and All-State Band auditions.

Micah Freeman, Staff Writer

Multiple members of the school’s band program have been chosen for both the District Honor Band and the second round of All-State Band auditions.

“I think all the students who take the audition work hard,” band director Bert Groover said. “I’m happy with the number of students selected compared to the number of those who auditioned. It’s proof of the hard work our students will put in.”

The students who were chosen for District Honor Band are Andrew Hyde, Hannah Kim, Kelly Bae, Stella Cannon, Zimri Cauble, Mayson Groover, Elliot Keyser, Micheal Lin, and Alex Yang. Those same students also passed on to the second round of All-State auditions.

For freshman and sophomore grade students, auditions included playing eight major scales, chromatic scales, and sight reading a piece. Juniors and seniors had to play 12 major scales, chromatic scales, and complete sight reading. This process is the same for both District Honor and All-State.

“The band’s success is an excellent reflection of everything we want to do here at Starr’s Mill,” Principal Allen Leonard said. “We want success in all of our programs here.”

District Honor Band will have rehearsals February 3 and 4, including a concert on February 4. All-State has rehearsals in March and a concert in Memphis, Tennessee.